Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Bright Side

I never had much opinion on the issue of gays serving openly in the military. I didn't think that it was parallel to integrating African Americans serving in uniform, but it just wasn't high priority for me.

If society has moved along enough where the recruiting pool doesn't care (as opposed to the people who would never enlist who always wanted the ban lifted), who am I to care more then the troops in uniform? Doing so absent that consensus in uniform during war was my major worry. So now "don't ask, don't tell" is gone.

Whatever you feel about the issue, you have to admit one advantage: it will piss off the jihadis all the more.

Somehow, however, I doubt this policy change will be part of the list of answers to the ever-present question in liberal circles of "why do they hate us?"