Thursday, June 09, 2011

Life is Good

Yesterday was a nice and relaxing day. It started with lunch with a friend by campus (with a couple beers), included purchasing a discounted University of Michigan t-shirt (so bright it will hurt the eyes of MSU fans), led to a delicious chocolate malt from Kilwins downtown (Egad, I live for those things), and--with heat beating down on me--a couple more beers at Conor O'Neils pub downtown on the sidewalk tables while I tried to read my book and did some minor web surfing.

"Tried" because a very drunk man obviously done with work for the day decided to regale me with tales of his life and work history. While chatting up every girl or woman who walked by. They were not that interested, apparently. His near-constant drooling might have had something to do with that. Somehow that didn't seem to affect his very high opinion of himself. I was charitable. He approached me from behind starting out with, "How are you doing, son?" As he walked in front of me he realized I was not son age--not for him anyway. I guess I look younger from behind. I'll keep that in mind. Although how that could be of any practical assistance is beyond me. I didn't tell him I was several years older than him. His age was merely one of the more innocuous things about his life that he over-shared with me.

I misjudged his apparent leaving and ordered a second beer. My waitress, at least, seemed to have some sympathy for me through this. So I'm not at the drooling state of my life. I've got that going for me, too.

So I drank my last beer, abandoned hope of reading, weakly smiled at the women who walked by, hoping I was not associated with the drooling, friendly guy at the table over, and headed home by late afternoon.

I headed for my pool to cool off and finally enjoy some quiet time to read a bit. A duck even came in for a landing in the pool and paddled around a while. Amusing. Although I quietly cheered Chlorine.

It was a rare day without taking care of or at least seeing the kids. I wrapped up the day with some Stanley Cup hockey and "Timeline" from Netflix. I've seen it before (and read the book--better but clearly intended to be almost the script) but the Frenchwoman, Clare, is so pretty that I had to watch again.

Excuse me while I Google.

Yeah, she's cute. Bio here. I've seen nothing else she's been in, actually. I may have to add Land of the Lost to my Netflix queue.

Short delay--done. And funny enough, my account recommended Pushing Daisies, which she also appeared in--now in my instant queue.

Anyway. Life is good. Oh, and I didn't lose power yesterday unlike Tuesday when power demand dropped chunks of Ann Arbor from the network for several hours. Not so bad except that I didn't want to open my refrigerator since the optimistic estimate of when power would be restored might not hold.