Monday, May 23, 2011

No, It Was a Good Weekend

This is really a strange way to look at things:

Harold Camping's recent admission that he's "flabbergasted" the world didn't end last weekend sounds somewhat pitiful.

"It has been a really tough weekend," Camping said Sunday, after emerging from his Alameda, California home for the first time to talk to a reporter from the San Francisco Chronicle. ...

Camping's PR aide, Tom Evans, told the L.A. Times that the group is "disappointed" that 200 million true believers weren't lifted up to heaven on Saturday while everyone else suffered and eventually died as a series of earthquakes and famine destroyed the Earth.

Really? We didn't have massive death and destruction over the weekend and that is a tough weekend? Now, that attitude is flabbergasting.

Sure, the end of the world would have meant I didn't face the disappointment of my son failing to appreciate Monty Python and the Holy Grail at all.

But I would have missed taking Lamb out to the park to fly her new kite. Actually, I'd been forgetting to buy a new kite with the old one barely hanging on to life. And then I found two kites in my closet that I clearly bought some time in the last year. Lamb was thrilled. So I put it together and dad and daughter walked to the park where we got it in the air and soaring without having to run to keep the kite airborne! I think the wind was getting a bit strong because while it would fly right for a while, eventually it dove down to the ground. I think Lamb enjoyed it when I tucked my head and covered my head with my arms whenever it dove at my general direction.

And Lamb hit the swings for a bit, too. It was grand.

I'd have missed that. And I'm a little angry at the people hoping for the end of the world. They really expected only 200 million on the planet to ascend to Heaven? Really? How many children were judged too evil for salvation? What type of religious person condemns children to death and damnation?

I don't pretend to know what God has in store for our world or for me and my family. And neither does Camping. He should be ashamed to pretend to know God's will for us--or his standards of judgment.