Monday, March 21, 2011

Musical Chairs

Yemen is about to get really interesting:

Rival tanks deployed in the streets of Yemen's capital Monday after three senior army commanders defected to a movement calling for the ouster of the U.S.-backed president, leaving him with virtually no support among the country's most powerful institutions.

I haven't really focused much on Yemen. I guess I just don't think this is reform related as much as it is tribal and north-south. So I figure whoever has a chair when the music stops will want to be friendly with us and have an interest in fighting jihadis and al Qaeda.

We'll have to make bribes to new people so it will cost us a little more, but the war will go on, I think.

I could be wrong, but that's why I don't pay too much attention.

UPDATE: Stratfor discusses the situation. They highlight the north-south and tribal angles, but also think that there is the chance that Islamists could make gains in the crisis. Iran also has their fingers in this to a small degree. Finally, I should have mentioned the Saudi interests. Bribes from the Saudis in behind the scenes negotiations will likely be a large part of this crisis resolution unless it just degenerates into open warfare.