Thursday, July 29, 2010

Littlest Squirt Shop

Lamb lost one of her Littlest Pet Shops today, and spun a tale of woe about who might have stolen it. There were lots of tears and it broke my heart to see her so sad. Eventually, we determined that she had seen the  missing toy after her day camp ended. So it could not have been stolen. And we determined she had done multiple inventories before the inventory at my home where she discovered the loss.

So I checked my car. And I promised to search the grounds near my home, retracing our steps. If we can't find it, I promise we'll try to get the exact same one. But the tears and words said it was not possible--it was no longer made and it was one of her top ten favorite Littlest Pet Shop toys.

Well, that would make it more difficult to set this right.

But true to my word, after stopping for a quick bit of grocery shopping, I searched the grass in the dark. After coming up empty, I grabbed my groceries and made a last sweep on the route to my front door. With my eyes firmly on the ground, scanning left to right and back, I slowly made my way up the sidewalk, trying to catch a glimpse of a tiny hamster.

As I closed on my door, out of the corner of my eye I saw a cat scampering towards me. I looked to my right to say hi to the kitty that was just a few feet from me and still approaching, when I noticed that IT WAS NOT A CAT.

It was a black and white skunk. Not fully grown, it seemed, and still approaching me. I backed away, saying "nice skunk" in a calm and low voice. Let's not get all excited, here, right? At that moment, I wanted that skunk to be the happiest and safest feeling skunk in the whole wide world. No threats from me, no sirree.

But the young skunk kept approaching me. Not threatening--it might have been friendly, even. But no offense, skunk, but you do have that whole gland thing. But for that I'd probably dig out a hamburger bun and offer it to you. But you do have the stinky, spraying gland, so no deal. So I turned and began walking quickly away, wondering how far they can spray and unsure of wind direction.. Still loaded down with groceries, I might add.

Luckily, it kept going and I turned back to my door to get in and close the door fast.

And when I set down my groceries and listened to the answering machine message flashing at me, it was Lamb happily telling me I could quit looking because her grandma (who picked her up from the camp) had found the little pet in her car. Not stolen at all. And now found. I could hear no tears any more in Lamb's voice.

So I came close to getting hosed down by a skunk looking for a non-missing, small--but dear--plastic toy.

Lamb enjoyed that part.