Sunday, July 11, 2010

Epic Marketing Fail

Vu vu--oh, the heck with word play:


I think this is an AP photo. The site I grabbed it from no longer has it there.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Let me just say that I may have been quite wrong in my general lack of interest in the World Cups.

But since this insight into the reason why half the world has apparently been entranced by the spectacle and nuance of 1-0 games came to me mere hours before the World Cup final game, let me just say that this must rank as one of the epic fails of marketing.

How is it possible that with material like this that FIFA has been unable to generate interest in soccer here in America? Have these officials not watched our beer commercials during sporting events?

But no, all the media attention has gone to friggin' vuvuzelas. If Journolist couldn't coordinate better coverage of the World Cup in our media then it is worse than what it appears to be--a left wing echo chamber--it is incompetent and perhaps (yes, I'll say it) un-American.

This is way worse than the New Coke fiasco. This has been an epic marketing and journalistic fail. There is no way that the vuvuzela should be what this year's World Cup is remembered for in America.