Saturday, June 04, 2005

Is it the Fourth Column or the Fifth Estate?

Once, we had only to face the yapping of Tokyo Rose, Lord Haw Haw, and Axis Sally, as we fought our enemies.

But today, I weary of anything our press says about the war. In effect, they just about all support the enemy. John Leo (via Instapundit) discussed the stories we never hear about--but should.

I won't try to summarize it. Just read it and be angry.

It is frustrating that we can't count on our own press to present even a balanced account of what is going on in the world. I dare not dream that these Journalistic-Americans might actually root for the nation that produced the freedom of the press they use every day.

I rely on the media for news. But I know that I need to use my knowledge of history, current events, and other sources to accurately shape what the media tells me. Without what I can add, I'd be hard pressed to know even a shadow of the true situation out there.

I just don't trust our media anymore. It began in the early 1980s when CBS lost me. Dan Rather propagandized so much that he finally undermined the trust I had in CBS. In time, ABC and NBC lost me as well. And even CNN bought the farm in its attempt to build a world-wide audience.

Now I rely on the web for news and look to television only for breaking news. And even then it is basically an alert to look elsewhere for what is really happening.

The press basically assumes that we will win and so they can undermine the war without consequences. I hope they are right.

And our journalists wonder why fewer and fewer people get their news from them. They can pretend that it is the fault of the viewers. But not for much longer.