Monday, June 27, 2005

At Least It is a Debatable Point

As I've repeated to the point of boring you, were I god of the PLA, I'd invade Taiwan on the eve of the 2008 summer Olympics. The element of surprise would be complete and in the end, getting the gold in the Realpolitik Freestyle will beat gold in women's gymnastics any day.

The Taiwanese vice president Annette Lu doesn't think China would do this, however:

Lu asserted that China wouldn't dare send its armed forces against the independently ruled island in the run-up to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

Far be it from me to correct the Taiwanese veep but I think that is a hope rather than a prediciton. Why is China building up its military at such a frenzied pace if they don't have some deadline in mind?

But hey, I'm satisfied that at least it is a point of debate.