Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sort of Pointless

I really enjoyed this video.



I'm not a recycler, as you might imagine. Or you might imagine me dressed as one of the Spartans in 300. Your call.

But I digress.

I just don't feel like the fate of the planet is on my shoulders. My own children are enough responsibility, thank you very much.

I loved the two people sorting into 9 or 10 different bins. (They've had great success in Japan!!! Hah!)

The part on recycling paper is special, too. Funny that recycling proponents are so against using what is a renewable resource, eh?

Oh, and the part on scarce landfills is good. That's a pet peeve of mine. We are not running out of landfill space. When people say we have 5-10 years of landfill space, I imagine that is something that will always be true. After all, why create landfill space for 11-50 years in the future? You don't get points by lining them up that far ahead of time. By the time we are down to 4 years of space, somehow new landfills are created. Fancy that.

I'll concede that modern regulations make our landfills safer than the old-style dumps. So score one for government regulation. But why aren't those on the left as comforted by the security of these regulations as I am?

And the moral superiority of those who recycle is really annoying. I joined the Army because I thought it was my duty to protect our country. But you know what? I didn't and don't look down on those who don't enlist. And I'm against drafting people into the military. What is it with the recycling people who think they should force me to sort my garbage?

I don't recycle. I have better things to do. Like "nothing," if it comes down to it. You want my garbage sorted? Come and sort it.

If it makes you feel better about yourself to recycle, bust a gut. I don't have that self esteem issue, or whatever.

I won't even bitch too much about the waste of tax money for ineffective recycling. What the heck, spending on recycling is a drop in the bucket of wasteful government spending. What's a little more?

But leave me alone. I'm the one saving the planet, as it turns out. I'll gladly go up against the carbon footprint of any morally superior recycling fanatic who likes to ski in Colorado. I mean, if it's results you want and not just feeling superior.

Tip to Ed Driscoll.