Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Painful Learning Experience

I know I've whined about running before. Perhaps not on these pages. But I have. No more!

The last three winters I stopped running at the end of October when it got too cold for me. It's amazing enough that I've roused myself to run voluntarily without the UCMJ being held over my head.

But when spring rolled around and I started running again, the agony of gearing up for running was awful. So this year I vowed to keep running through the winter.

Until this week, weather has been within my parameters enough to continue to run three times per week. But this week temps dropped into the thirties. I am not running in thirty-degree weather.

I did not like the idea of resorting to a running machine, but I did it. And while it seemed completely unnatural to run without swinging my arms and instead grip a handle, I did it.

It isn't too bad although it still seems like cheating somehow. I have to admit that just setting it to a speed and not having any hills to go up was really great. I miss the downhills, though.

Anyway, it looks like I won't have the shock of spring running to ruin my buzz as the spring outdoor beer season begins, too.

Yeah, my life is really rough, eh?