Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The Affordable Phonecall Act?

President Obama said that just because the new sign-up web site for Obamacare has some opening day problems, it is no reason to conclude it is unworkable. He has a point, of sort. But this is worrisome:

"Like every new law, every new product rollout, there are going to be some glitches in the sign-up process along the way that we will fix," he said.

"Just a couple weeks ago Apple rolled out a new mobile operating system, and within days they found a glitch, so they fixed it," Obama said. "I don't remember anybody suggesting Apple should stop selling iPhones or iPads or threatening to shut down the company if they didn't."

Holy crud! Are you telling me that there is a law called Obamacall that requires me to buy an iPhone? And that if I don't, the government will fine me using the IRS as the enforcement arm?

And Siri will start asking me intrusive health questions that have nothing to do with anything I'm interested in?

(I'd have used a phone call data reference, but the NSA apparently has that covered already.)

Our president just isn't good at analogies. Face it, if we had to buy iPhones under penalty of law, Apple wouldn't have released that glitch patch so quickly, now would it have?