Saturday, October 05, 2013

Ratings

Excuse the navel-gazing post, but the disconnect between my Sitemeter stats and Blogger stats is just astounding. I have no idea why this is so. Nor do I know which to believe.

Sitemeter says I had 2,270 page views in September. That's not a lot, but not too bad for a solitary blogger, I suppose.

But Blogger stats show over 12,000 page views for the same month. Even if I subract about 1,500 that I think are some type of spam chum or web crawlers, that leaves a monthly tally of about 10,700. Which, if true, makes me quite pleased.

But how can the latter show 4.7 times as many page views? Is Sitemeter so old that it doesn't track Facebook and Twitter and Google+ hits? And if so, could that many people really be coming from those sources?

I'm truly perplexed.

How do web advertisers even know enough about audience size to set rates?