Friday, April 06, 2012

Well That Explains That

I was a bit confused when I read a bit back that India might be an alternative withdrawal route from Afghanistan if Pakistan keeps the supply roads down to Karachi closed to us.

If true, I figured it must mean via air but it made little sense to me even in that context given existing alternate routes. The only way it made sense was to pressure Pakistan with the threat of using their (in their own mind) prime enemy as a way out and the threat that cooperation could grow at Pakistan's expense. I didn't blog it since it made no sense. And if it did make sense, it would surely come up again with a fuller explanation.

As it turns out, the route through India idea came from misunderstanding an American officer noting we could leave via the "NDN" route--or Northern Distribution Network. Thanks to Defense Industry Daily (via their email updates) for that explanation.

So no India route.