Tuesday, April 10, 2012

So Much For the Employee Discount

I noticed several people came to The Dignified Rant recently on the search "brian dunn personal conduct".

Naturally, I immediately suspected something had happened to the career of Best Buy's Brian J. Dunn.

Something did. He resigned. Under investigation for "personal conduct."

I'd joked over the last several years that I could probably be treated pretty well if I shopped there. But I never did. I blew an opportunity.

And a company that arranges speaking engagements that used to have my picture for that Mr. Dunn has already taken down their page for him. If you check out the cache for All American Speakers by checking the preview rather than clicking on it, you can still see my picture. But the live site is now down. That mistake cracked me up for years.

Obviously I'm not that Brian J. Dunn.

I feel a bit bad for him. We do share a name, after all. And that company above that let the wrong picture stand for years pulled down his page in what? Hours? That's a cold world.

UPDATE: The plot thickens. I got the first hit from the search "brian dunn affair".

Ladies, ladies. I'm single. I just hope this brouhaha doesn't put off Summer Glau if she was thinking about calling me.

UPDATE: Man, it's like a cyber-voodoo doll is being stuck over and over again. I feel like I need a beer and I didn't do anything (I swear, Summer!).

UPDATE: Hmmm. That dog! Now, "brian dunn affair with employee" themes are starting to creep in to the search strings. Isn't SIGINT grand?

UPDATE: I almost feel like I should hire a crisis consultant if I experience blowback. Let it be known that this Brian J. Dunn has never been fired or forced to resign. Although if I ever am, I'd like to think I'd go out in a blaze of woman-scented glory from an intense affair with some hot administrative assistants. Over the years, let me just say that I've worked with some pretty hot colleagues, subordinates, interns, and even a boss or two who were highly affairable.

But alas, it was not to be. Heck, I even switched offices once because interns were put in the cubicle across from my office and one very lovely intern had the habit of turning in her chair to talk to me. She wore short skirts and it took great powers of control to maintain eye contact. In the end, I felt discretion was the better part of valor and I moved to a new office where the view outside my door was the fabric panel of a cubicle wall.

Yet I can't mock too much when my namesake is apparently in a tail spin. Best of luck, Brian. I hope she was worth it (it true, of course). Blaze of glory, and all.

UPDATE: Now even the echoes of the All American Speakers picture mistake are gone. I really wish I'd made a screen capture just for the yucks of it. Coincidentally enough, I showed that page to my mom a couple weeks ago and she thought it was pretty humorous. She was going to show it to my sister and intended to do so on Easter Sunday, but forgot. And because of some personal issues, it is lost for good.

And so a scandal has a minor impact on my life. Still, I'm glad I'm this Brian J. Dunn.