Thursday, May 05, 2011

Take That!

The lords of lost items suffered a defeat today.

I took some film to be developed today. Yes, I still use that sometimes. If it makes you feel better about my tech level, it probably has pictures from holidays going back two years, unless I miss my guess. Anyway, I walked there on a circuitous route that had me 2/3 the way home when I stopped in the drug store. I had the film but not the loyalty card that I had set on the stairs with the film. So where was it? At home on the stair step? Or somewhere over the last couple miles?

So I leave my film and head home rather than retrace my steps. Probably sitting right inside my door. Or maybe outside it if I dropped the card while fiddling with my wallet or keys.

But no, it was not at either of those places. Or on my table. Or in my pants I'd worn earlier. Or in my coat pocket from the morning. It had to be on the first part of my walk.

So I had a cup of coffee. I'd go over the same ground tomorrow running (and walking--I'm easing into the full run so I don't give myself a heart attack), so why look now? Well, it might rain. Or just get damp from morning dew. Or picked up.

What the heck. It's a nice day. I grab my music and go. Sure enough, about 3/4 of a mile along the route I walked before I found the card lying on the sidewalk. I only had one real false alarm before that. So I'm home with my loyalty card intact.

And I found a lost sock! Well, no. That I didn't do. But they have to be somewhere too, I just know it.

It's the small victories that really keep us going, right?