Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Usual Suspects

I was right to be skeptical of the people that put together the Afghanistan Study Group report.

Good grief, look at the surrender monkeys associated with this thing:

Something called the Afghan Study Group has produced a report on “A New Way Forward in Afghanistan.” A quick glance at the list of signatories shows a group of individuals who are not exactly notable for their expertise in Afghanistan but who can be counted on to oppose any plan of winning a war, be it the “surge” in Iraq or the one now going on in Afghanistan. For instance: Yale law professor Bruce Ackerman, left-wing blogger and Arabist Juan Cole of the University of Michigan, economist James Galbraith of the University of Texas, telecom executive Leo Hindery, the notorious Iran apologists Flynt and Hillary Leverett, and, of course, anti-Israel propagandist Stephen Walt of Harvard. There are, to be sure, among the people who have signed on, a few who have actually spent some time in the region, such as former State Department employee Matthew Hoh and think-tanker Selig Harrison. But the report is notable for its standard anti-war bromides rather than any convincing “way forward” and certainly not for any “new way” put forth.

Wow. That's quite a collection of idiots.

I appreciate that Max Boot read this so I don't have to. I meant to. Really. I did read the Iraq Study Group report rather closely to analyze the recommendations. But unlike the Iraq Study Group report which I worried would be implemented to lead to our defeat in Iraq, I actually have little worry that the Afghanistan Surrender Group report will be taken seriously by anyone.

So I think I'll watch some Dark Angel instead.