Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fight Now. Weep Later

This soldier is distressed that Americans don't seem to fly their flags at half-staff on 9/11, as Patriot Day custom requires. It fails to pay respect to those who were murdered that day, he says.

I disagree. I appreciate his sentiment, but I disagree. I deliberately do not fly my flag at half-staff on 9/11. We are still fighting the war, and as far as I'm concerned, the flag should be flown to show determination--the same determination shown by the United Airlines Flight 93 passengers who tried to take back their plane that day in our first counter-attack--and not to show weepy sorrow.

One day, I hope that the war will be far enough in the rear view mirror for me to fly my flag at half-staff in memory of those who died that day in 2001.

But not yet. No sir, with all due respect, not yet. We're at war. Weeping over our losses is a luxury we have not yet earned.