Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Measuring the State of the Rant

I used to get about a 150 page views a day. Over the last couple years it has dwindled down to half that, according to my Sitemeter statistics. I don't have pretense to being a top middle lower tier blogger, but it was a bit disappointing to lose the small audience I had.

Blogger now has statistics that I can see from the dashboard. It shows me with at least four times the traffic I thought I had now, based on page views. [Corrected from initial entry multiple] Does Sitemeter fail to catch the traffic? I find it hard to believe that Blogger itself would inflate it with their ability to measure what they host.

I wonder if links from non-traditional sources just aren't captured by Sitemeter and as more people use Facebook, Twitter, web-connected game consoles, and smart phones to access the web that these visitors aren't being tracked the way traditional computer users are tracked?

Anyway, it was good for morale to see that. And who knew that the Netherlands represents such a high percentage of my readership?