Friday, October 12, 2007

EUCOM

There is still negotiating going on over just what ground forces we will retain in Europe. General Craddock was asked this question:

Q General, I understand that in the summer, European Command produced a report examining whether or not you have sufficient troops to complete its missions. Further, I understand this report looked at projected end strength increases in the Army and Marine Corps to determine whether or not any of these troops could be added to European Command. Can you say anything about this report?


His answer:

GEN. CRADDOCK: Okay. Let me take my NATO hat off and put on my EUCOM hat. We did a study in EUCOM. I told the staff, I want you to study whether or not we have adequate capability to accomplish the tasks we've been assigned by the department; we did that. The result was it appears we do not. I then sent a recommendation to the Secretary of Defense. It has been discussed. We have talked about it. That has yet to be acted on, so that is still a work in progress. We continue to refine the issues, if you will, and the rationales and the capabilities we have and the whys and why nots of what we think we should have.


So current plans don't meet current identified needs, as European Command sees the issue.

I've given my opinion, here, in Military Review, about the missions the Army in Europe needs capabilities to accomplish and what I think should be there.