Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What Happens in Nice, Stays in Nice

One of Saddam's palaces was located in France. I know, I know, this is shocking. But only 2-1/2 years after Baghdad fell, Iraq will take possession:

The Iraqi embassy in France said that it expected Baghdad's new government would soon be the owner of a magnificent property on the Riviera which is dubbed Saddam's villa" by locals because of its use by members of the deposed regime.

Would I be too cynical to wonder if the long time lag was needed to remove the cyclotrons and about a foot of top soil around certain buildings?

Oh, and in what I'm sure is one of those world-class hilarious coincidences:

[In] 2002, it emerged that the property next door was owned by one of the brothers of Osama bin Laden.

I wonder if the bin Ladens ever had reason to pop on over to borrow a cup of Anthrax?

I sure wish American special forces had captured this villa back in 2003.