Friday, January 03, 2014

I Offer My Formal Apology to Madeleine Albright

For years, I felt that Secretary of State Albright, who served in the Clinton administration, was the worst Secretary of State in my living memory. I now retract that assessment.

I had few hopes for anything good diplomatically under the guidance of John Kerry, but each month he seems to exceed my low hopes with new means of undermining our national security.

But Iran, Iraq, and Syria pale in comparison to the giant leap forward in stupidity that Kerry is reportedly contemplating as he deploys his French-accented nuance skills to the Palestinian issue.

Behold!

Secretary of State John Kerry is proposing to offer up US troops to help secure the borders of the new state of Palestine, according to some unconfirmed news reports coming out of Israel.

Granted, the report is sourced to Debkafile which can always be counted on to have a fantastic story, but which doesn't seem to have much credibility, but I can't really say that I have confidence that Kerry wouldn't think of something like that and think it is a brilliant rather than stupid idea.

And Samantha Power, our ambassador to the UN, did broach that idea in 2008.

Yes, I know, American troops are part of an international force (not UN, I'll add) that separates Egypt from Israel. But it is a much simpler task than what we'd face sitting in the West Bank with plenty of Palestinians steeped in propaganda to destroy Israel seeing our troops as preventing them from finishing the job and wiping out Israel.

Our troops would end up being a shield for the Palestinians against Israeli retaliation yet would be seen by Palestinians as protecting Israel. We'd anger everyone.

In only a single year, John Kerry is challenging the title of worst Secretary of State in my living memory.