Saturday, January 11, 2014

'Bird' Feeder

For a bit today, there were two male cardinals feeding at my bird feeder. Why is there a silhouette of a bird on the feeder?


A tube of seeds hangs from a pole, and the manufacturer of the apparatus felt it necessary to put a silhouette of a bird on top of the pole. Why?

I mean, I've chronicled my battle with squirrels who clearly don't heed the bird indicator.

And I sincerely doubt if the birds would shy away from the yummy, free seeds if there was some other silhouette up there.

Could I really attract different grazers with different pole caps?

Ocelots with a cat cap?

A hippie cap that would make them think that I put granola in the tube?

Heck, if I took the bird cap off the pole, would I get strippers chirping outside my window?

Not that this isn't a regular Saturday night occurrence, obviously. 'Cuz that's how I roll. I meant at my back window, of course.

Anyway. After more than a decade of having that out there, it just struck me as odd.

Forgive my bird posts. It's been very cold outside, and I've perhaps been cooped up inside more than is good for my mental health.