Sunday, June 05, 2011

Being Daddish

So on Friday, I went on a walking field trip for my son's Spanish class to a local pool. Mister almost didn't go because of his cold. The teacher talked him into it. I'm glad since that would have made it two field trips in a row that Mister didn't make it when I did! And he had fun although he didn't feel like swimming.

Yesterday I took Lamb to the Mini Maker Faire at the county fair grounds. My little scientist wanted to go (we went last year, too, although it seemed bigger then), and she battled with robots, made some goop that turned her hands purple (with food coloring, NOT an experiment gone horribly awry), built a sculpture with a glue gun (and I reminded her that with her scrap box stuff and my new glue gun, we could do the same at home), and saw a neat craft project that uses plastic pieces, wax paper, and an iron. I'll have to find that at the craft store. And I got her a hot dog, which may have been the high point. Lamb had fun:



The plastic bubble above her head was where Lamb made tessellations art. Just being sealed off made it more appealing than it warranted. She's holding the goop bag. Which leaked. It's in my refrigerator now and I hope I don't think I bought taffy.

Mister was happy to get a chess book in the mail that I bought him as a reward for doing well on his mid-term interim report card. I normally don't do that, but he struggled last term for a bit with his advanced math class (but did great in the end) and I wanted to reward him for bouncing back.

Today we hit the pool on a fine day and I'm happy to say the water temperature had risen 7 degrees from the rather chilly 73 degrees it was last week (beware the shrinkage as Rep. Weiner would surely warn). Mister was finally feeling well enough for the pool and had a blast, too, on his first day in the water.

So even though summer isn't really starting yet since there are a couple weeks to go, it feels like we are in full swing already. And summer will flash by like it always does, stealing time with my children.

Only the fact that every season has something to offer and time must advance make it easier to take.