Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Way Too Much Time on Their Hands

So people study what your car says about you?

Let's see, I own a white Saturn Ion.

Small car owners?

According to a study by researchers at UC Davis, small-car drivers are more pro-environmental and prefer higher density neighborhoods than drivers of others types of cars.

The Ion is bigger than their examples. But smaller than the next category:

The authors of the study found that “mid-sized-car drivers have no distinct travel attitude, personality, lifestyle, mobility, or travel-liking characteristics.”

Of course, it is American-made, so there is more:

If you’re driving an American-made sedan, you might belong to the group psychographers call “belongers.” That’s those who need to belong to a group, are very nationalistic, and don’t like change.
The other sizes clearly don't apply. So what about color?

White: Status seekers, gregarious

There you go. According to the study, I'm a gregarious status seeker who is somewhere between an indistinct nationalist and environmentalist.

Wait. My God, I'm Teddy Roosevelt!

Or let me try another explanation for my car. I commute 140 miles to work round trip, want a color that is highly visible in poor lighting, and qualified for a GM friends and family discount.

Psychographers? Psychocrappers is more like it.