Saturday, June 12, 2010

Nearing the End

Whew.

Friday was a tiring day. For a day off from work, that seems unfair. But it was a good sort of tiring day.

It started with a field trip to Greenfield Village with Lamb's class (the entire grade, actually). A little confusion over the day of the trip led my Ex to get the day off, too, so we both went on the trip. I was a little apprehensive about that, being divorced and all, but it went fine. To be fair, we get along really well for a divorced couple. I've always been pleased that we both have been able to put the kids first despite our issues. But still, twelve hours of togetherness was ahead of me. But it turned out quite well, with no friction.

Lamb arranged for having her and her friend in the class (and from down the street) form the group that my Ex and I had to shepherd through the park. We were given a camera to take pictures of the scavenger hunt items, and sent off.

It went well, with Lamb whispering at one point to me that she was glad I "brought my wallet." It was extra for a train ride and carousel ride--plus frozen treats near the end. It had been a long time since I'd been to the place and it was pretty cool to see the stuff. And we didn't even see a third of the park, I'd guess. While Lamb's friend retained interest throughout the trip, Lamb's interest waxed and waned along with her mood. Feeding catfish with Cheetos and an Icee for her went a long way to restoring spirits.

And as it turned out, my secretly getting a smashed penny memento went a long way to reviving her on the way home. Lamb had wanted to go to the gift store, but my Ex and I didn't want our two girls to have stuffed animals when others were not allowed to buy stuff. Rides and consumables were one thing--tangible toys another. But as we left the park after turning over our non-daughter charge to the teacher to take Lamb home, I pulled out the smashed penny and gave it to her. It turns out that while I was off getting that, Lamb had sadly stated that she hadn't gotten anything "special" since her friend had gotten everything she had gotten. You're always special, don't you know? But even a tiny amount of physical proof was reassuring at that moment, I guess.

No pictures since thunder storms were in the forecast. Luckily, nothing hit us at all. A lovely day at the park.

We picked up Mister who was waiting at the elementary school for us, and my Ex repaid my trip funding by paying for dinner. See? We get along fine.

Then it was off to the ice cream social, which is the social event of the elementary school season and cap to the year. Only a week to go at school and this signals the end, for all practical purposes. My Ex signed herself up for a slot and wound up with two. And she signed Mister up for a slot on the obstacle course--and I said I'd help him.

Lamb got her ice cream as I walked around with her, my Ex did her shift, and Mister wandered around looking for any friends. He finally decided to get a wrist band and I told him they actually had sorbet at this year's social.

Then it was off to the cake walk. It is a musical chairs type game with baked goods as the prize. Lamb quickly won some chocolate chip cookies. She's won every year, so far.

Later, Mister won some cup cakes and traded with Lamb.

Lamb also helped one of her friends win some 2-liter bottles of pop in a ring toss game. No pop for Lamb--but she enjoyed winning.

And Lamb hit the inflatable obstacle course and loved it.

Eventually, I turned Lamb over to her mom when she went off duty and headed off to our shift.

That was fun--but hot work in the stifling gym (that threatening storm sent the event indoors). And my voice is still a little hoarse from hamming it up for the kids with a lot of banter in between runs. My main job was to send the kids through two at a time only after the coarse was cleared with the previous pair. Mister signaled me when the kids got out of the thing. So I'd give them the "ready, get set, go" routine, usually stretching it out. As I waited for the coarse to clear, I'd sometimes run through to "get set" and then give my best sergeant major command, "wait for it!" to buy time before dropping my arm and yelling "go!" (I've seen "Zulu" many times) And I'd chat them up as I did it, to keep them in place.

Lamb seemed to enjoy it, too. Lamb sometimes stuck around to help me out (sometimes by accompanying a small child to help them climb the wall), rather than run the course. She's too young to be horribly embarrassed by dad acting like a goof. Or the kids were grinning and laughing because they were enjoying my banter. It could go either way, I suppose.

After our half hour shift was up, I released Mister when his mom showed up. The relief crew didn't show, so I stayed until the social ended with my Ex signaling when the route was clear. Sadly, one little girl twisted her ankle coming off the slide and I halted the ride until we could get teachers to help and find her parents. Her ankle wasn't swollen or anything, although the tears were sincere, so I guess it was just a garden variety twist. The kids admirably cooperated as Lamb held the line at the entry for me while we coped with the mini-crisis. Then we resumed with no further incidents.

Mister also volunteered to run the chicken catapult game (a small catapult, a rubber chicken, and a soup pot five feet away--you get the idea) when whoever was signed up to run it for the last half hour failed to show up for their shift. That was nice of him, although he said he did it because he was bored. No matter, he volunteered rather than just sulked.

So it was a successful day, all around. But dang, all those little kids plum tuckered me out. I'm hoping for a quiet Saturday.