Wednesday, June 16, 2010

From Hell's Heart, I Stab at Thee. For Hate's Sake I Bake My Last Pouch in Thee

I wrote about what a hit the Easy Bake oven was for Lamb. My main complaint was that the pouches of baking ingredients are the toner of the toy world, the real profit margin for the company rather than the oven.

Although how expensive should the oven be, given that it is but a metal reflector surrounded by plastic that doesn't even come with the bulb it needs to cook the stuff? They should give the oven away!

Anyway, armed with the confidence of Internet searches for alternative recipes, Lamb tried out my recipe of three table spoons of Jiffy universal baking mix ($2.50 for a huge box), one table spoon of water, two tea spoons of sugar, and 13 minutes in the oven. And don't forget lots of chocolate frosting and sprinkles. That's the key, really. I was a little worried, I admit, when I couldn't flatten the mix in the pan and had to settle for centering it. but it expanded nicely horizontally to fill the pan.

Lamb was also a tad skeptical, but she ate the whole thing and next time wants to do the whole two-layered cake that the pouches display, as if your Easy Bake cake will ever look like that!

But with the inexpensive Jiffy mix, I'm game to try the full cake project as many times as she wants. As long as Lamb shares with me, of course.