Friday, December 18, 2009

Still A Matter of Trust But Verify

A new strategic arms (nuclear) agreement with Russia is stuck on what I read one Russian official called outdated Cold War suspicions. My browser collapsed and I lost that article, so the ones I could find on the topic did not include that tidbit.

But this one makes it clearer that what I assumed was our insistence on verifications is indeed the issue:

U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks, said negotiations had become hung up on a disagreement over how to monitor the development of new intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Oh, we need to monitor the Russians. Have no doubt of that. I'm pleased we're making an issue of monotoring the Russians. Let's not compromise.

Remember, Russia needs this START agreement far more than we do.