Monday, April 21, 2008

Progressive?

Part of what causes me despair in the Iraq War debate is our Left's insistence that it was morally wrong to free Iraqis from Saddam Hussein's brutal rule.

This is an excellent article. For the life of me, I could not manage to access the original article at this site.

What gets me about our "progressive" Left is their bizarre embrace of any fascist or brutal group as long as it fights President Bush's America.

I am more than willing to debate the wisdom of invading and fighting in Iraq. But the very idea that it was immoral to liberate 25 million people from the gentle mercies of Saddam's Baathist thugs is repulsive to me and I don't understand how anyone can debate that question.

"Progressive" just means hating George W. Bush now. That's progress?

And if you wonder why I don't enable comments, this is the major reason. Our Left is just insane, and I won't descend into their madness to engage them on their level.

UPDATE: Norm Geras emails that the link to the Guardian story is here. Thanks Norm. I'm still puzzled I couldn't find the article the first time even though the initial link was changed by the paper. I could see the illustration of the edition with the article in question shown, but not the actual article.