Sunday, December 16, 2007

Motes and Planks

I have no problem with debating what is torture. I don't think we should torture except in extremely narrow circumstances. While I don't pretend to know enough to say for sure whether waterboarding is torture, I am confident that our Islamo-fascist enemies would take a quantum leap forward in decency if the worst thing they did to their captives was waterboard them.

If there was easy recognition and revulsion over what our enemies enjoy doing, the intense debate we have here over what we have rarely done would be easier to take.

As time has led too many Americans to forget why we must defend ourselves, and our Supreme Court is actually hearing a case brought by our enemies held at Guantanamo Bay, it might be useful to remember why we must have prisons to hold our enemies.

I'm fine with killing them all and letting Allah sort them out. But as long as we take prisoners, I have no problem with Gitmo. Let them rot there as long as their comrades out loose continue to wage war on us.

We're at war, remember?