Sunday, December 04, 2005

Chaos in an Artificial Country?

Canada's leftish government has fallen and the Canadians can look forward to a snap election campaign this holiday season.

Barone wonders why America's media isn't covering it more. He notes that Captain's Quarters is covering this news better than the media.

While I haven't covered this, I have followed the events with interest. And I do care what happens. I like Canada. I like to vacation there and I don't even blame Canada for the Bell's Palsy that hit me while I strolled through Toronto this summer (it went away rather quickly and completely I must say, thank you). I followed the surge of support in Quebec for separation very closely some years ago (and no, the fact that I was fully in love with Wendy Mesley on Canadian news had no impact on my nightly viewing of Canadian news).

I do care about the soft woods issue. I suspect Canada is right on this.

And I care about Canadian cooperation on continental missile defense; stopping Chinese penetration of Canada; Canadian vigilence in policing jihadis coming in to Canada to keep them from slipping in here; Canadian defense postures to participate in our common defense; and keeping a close oil supply in the hands of non-psycho regimes which seems so common these days.

But I just don't worry about Canada that much. These issues we will deal with and regardless of who wins, Canada will not build the fourth largest navy in the world or field an entire army to fight with us. Nor do I think that Canada can become more than annoyingly anti-American in their attitudes. Even a Quebec that might declare independence (which seems unlikely nowadays) is no Sunni triangle. So there is probably a fairly narrow band in which Canadian policy can swing in regard to the issues at hand.

Canada will not become a hostile country and I have bigger worries to think about.