Sunday, September 24, 2017

Space Utility Vehicles?

Is there a more annoying vessel in the Star Trek universe than the "runabout?"

I'm not a huge fan of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, but it is adequate and occasionally pretty good. I never really watched it when it was original. It has been my Plan B Netflix show for a while and I'm finally nearing the end stage of the series.

But a recent episode raised my low-level annoyance with the small ships the DS9 base uses to move around.

One, it is a bit annoying that somehow that which had required large starships to carry and power--a warp drive--is now available on such a small vessel. It is also armed and functions as a fighter aircraft with shields that allow it to battle starships.

But what really annoys me is that they are called "runabouts." And when the base was apparently under massive attack, the order to "launch the runabouts" was given.

And it really sounded like the captain was ordering the sortie of all the minivans in the fleet.

I wish the vessel had been given a better name than one that implies it has room for all the kids going to soccer practice.