Monday, September 07, 2009

In For a Pound

We must win in Afghanistan.

We can't let it become a haven for al Qaeda or other jihadi terrorists again. And we can't let it be the rear area for jihadis seeking to destabilize nuclear-armed Pakistan.

I have doubts about whether we are trying to do too much in Afghanistan.

I don't think we can pacify Afghanistan without also having the Pakistani frontier pacified to keep it from being the Taliban rear area.

And I am deeply concerned about putting too many troops into landlocked Afghanistan at the end of supply lines that basically go through Pakistan or Russia. Not the gold standard for my comfort level, to say the least.

I've written about each of these worries many times over the last couple years.

With US troops planned to reach 68,000 by the end of this year, our new commander in Afghanistan would like up to 45,000 more:

Although General McChrystal included no specific force proposals in his review, officials expect him to send a separate request in the coming weeks. Military strategists, including one who has advised General McChrystal, said he might offer three options. The smallest proposed reinforcement, from 10,000 to 15,000 troops, would be described as the high-risk option. A medium-risk option would involve sending about 25,000 more troops, and a low-risk option would call for sending about 45,000 troops.


Notwithstanding my many doubts as to how we will fight the planned campaign. I have to trust the Pentagon understands the problem. I can't see most of what they see. I won't pretend to be a four-star.

And if adding 45,000 troops can achieve enough results fast enough to let us then draw down to 30,000 or so troops than adding lesser amounts, then we might as well attempt victory. Lesser amounts mean we need more time. And with the pack of ninnies we have in Congress these days, I don't know how long we can keep them from running away just as fast as they can.

Pound the enemy. Protect the people. Go for the win.

UPDATE: Although I disagree with the portrayal of Afghanistan as "grave and deteriorating," I'd sign this letter urging enough troops and resources to win.