Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Do Four Small Ships Signal a Lot?

I noted that the Strait of Taiwan is a littoral region. That is, suitable for our new and smaller littoral combat ships.

Strategypage notes apparent significance of the first home port for the first ships:

The U.S. Navy will station its first four LCS (Littoral Combat Ships) in San Diego. This is an interesting decision. LCS ships are supposed to be the Navy's investment in green water (coastal areas with lots of shallow waters islands and inlets) operations. But San Diego is a place where there ain't no " green water" for thousands of miles. The Pacific coast is unique in that it has few islands, inlets and shallow waters. It would have made more sense to station the first LCS chips on the east or Gulf (of Mexico) coasts, which have ample green water areas. The only other reason for putting the LCS on the west coast, is the perceived need for them in the Pacific. Like in China, North Korea or the Persian Gulf, all of which have lots of "green water."

I blogged the choice when I received the DOD press release on the decision, and wondered if the Navy was looking west.

Guam seems like a better candidate for basing the LCS. I'd bet that in time they will be based there, and San Diego will be the place they are rotated out of for western Pacific duty.

Oh, and I do know the difference between blue (deep), brown (rivers), and green (shallow coastal) waters. I hope the context made it clear what I meant. I was sloppy in the linked posts. Sorry.