Monday, August 21, 2006

Well, It is Official

I am a web presence.

The remnants of a manuscript about the Iran-Iraq War (which I have long called the First Gulf War) which I came close to selling some years ago lives on in an abbreviated version. I had tried to peddle this version and failed, though eventually I did get a Land Warfare Paper out of it which I presented to a largely military audience at the 1997 AUSA meeting in Washington.

When I gave up on the short version, I stripped it of footnotees to keep it from being used in total for a term paper and published it on the web here. It gets a good number of hits, including a lot from the Middle East. An Iranian veteran of the war even complimented me via email on the paper, amazed that the account of the war was devoid of demonization of Iran. As I told him, I was just trying to provide a military history of the fight.

Anyway, I guess I've arrived on the web since this paper is cited as an external link on the Karbala V offensive in the war on Wikipedia. The quote used in the Wiki article is one I used in my paper.

Just pretty neat, I guess. To me anyway.