Friday, August 18, 2006

Translation Tool

We are waiting for Iran to answer our demand that they halt their nuclear programs.

Ahmadinejad provided a puzzling statement recently:


"How can the Iranian nation give up its obvious right to peaceful nuclear technology, when America and some other countries test new atomic bombs each year?" Ahmadinejad asked in a speech to a rally in the northwestern city of Namin.

All my political science course in college didn't prepare me for this lesson in deterrence. Who'd have thought that our leaders would be deterred from launching nuclear strikes on Iran if the Iranians have peaceful nuclear technology that only is used for generating electricity?

But then I remembered the handy translation rule for Mullahspeak that I discovered recently when reading Iranian statements.

Iran wants nuclear weapons. I don't think we can trust them with this power.

And their answer comes in four days.