Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Still Fighting

I'm surprised that Israel is still fighting in Lebanon against Hizbollah.

I have no doubt that Israel is harming Hizbollah. But I figured that the Israelis could not drive Hizbollah from the field before pressure compelled Israel to halt. I thought Israel's air strikes on infrastructure would shorten their time available. And Israel's refusal to commit ground forces to hammer Hizbollah quickly would be their prime mistake in this fight.

But we have been more effective at buying time for Israel than I thought we could be.

Still, I'm not shocked that rockets are still falling in large number on Israeli civilians.

Mind you, I am not saying that I believed Israel should have invaded in force to begin with. I think a more focused effort could have been sustained much longer than a half-hearted campaign as is being waged now.

My complaint is that it is amazing that Israel has taken so long to put 10,000 troops into southern Lebanon. Having decided to go in on the ground, it would have been better to do it faster and bigger. Why has it taken so long to put such a small force a few kilometers across the border?

In theory, if Israel can keep up even this inefficient method of killing Hizbollah for long enough, they can crush Hizbollah. Hizbollah can boast all they want, but they are suffering heavily though it is not apparent in the press.

I just doubt if we can buy them the time. And I think Israel could have fought this in a way that wouldn't have made time an ally of the enemy.