Monday, August 14, 2006

Say It Ain't So!

Recruiters lie and mislead? Next you'll be telling me there's gambling going on upstairs!

"Determined to find ways to succeed in a challenging recruiting environment, some recruiters reportedly have resorted to overly aggressive tactics, such as coercion and harassment," the GAO report said.

That can hurt recruiting by damaging relationships with parents, teachers, coaches and others who have influence on potential applicants, the report said. It also can waste tax dollars if ineligible applicants are recruited and begin basic training, but do not enter military service, it said
.

Now I'm not saying I approve of misleading recruits. Especially at a time of war. But times have changed. When I enlisted, I only received one major benefit because my copy of my enlistment contract--and my copy alone--contained the provisions in question my recruiter promised me.

When at MEPS to get my physical, finalize paperwork, and take my oath of enlistment, the soldiers there emphasized that anything promised by a recruiter not on the paper in front of you does not exist--so speak now or forget about it.

And once in the service, one topic of conversation that was not uncommon was to trade stories about how your recruiter screwed you over. It was a perverse sort of pride to recount how your recruiter lied to you to get your signature on the bottom line.

Now we worry about making sure our recruiters don't lie. Like I said, I don't think it is right to cheat recruits. But times sure have changed, it seems.