Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Welcome to My World

I've long lamented that the expression "open minded" is too often confused with being "liberal minded."

Different things entirely, although obviously there is some overlap.

Sigh. Years ago I briefly dated a young lady who, after getting to know me, exclaimed in shock, "You're not close minded, are you?!" She had just assumed, of course. [And I'm paraphrasing. I don't actually remember the precise quote.]

It's not a wonder I drink. It's a wonder I don't drink more.

UPDATE: Actually, there's a funny postscript to that period. Years later, I saw the woman. I smiled broadly and greeted her. She looked at me with no recognition at all.

That's kind of bad for morale, isn't it?

But it turned out she was the twin sister of the woman I'd gone out with. I knew she had a twin but she lived far away. And man, were they physically identical.

Anyway, she told me that her sister (who I knew, of course) had admonished her to be nice to anyone who recognized her. So she asked if we could have lunch, and we did. It was so weird to sit across from and talk to such a familiar stranger. Their personalities were different and different speech patterns were apparent.

Oh, and could add another stereotype. The original twin first asked me out with the subterfuge of organizing a work outing to a local bar where they play music. She and I were the only ones to turn up. I pretended not to notice anything odd about that, and a good time was had by all.

Nice women. I hope they're both doing well.

Anyway. I like my world. But it does pose particular challenges to me.