Wednesday, February 02, 2011

White House Staff Survival Flash Cards

The Army used flash cards with armored vehicles to help troops identify what was what on the battlefield when I was in uniform. When tested, I confess I always responded "it depends" when a French vehicle was shown rather than "friendly" or "enemy." But I digress.

White House adviser Valerie Jarrett had a moment of confusion at a fancy party (tip to Instapundit):

Jarrett was seated at the head table along with several other big-name politicians and a handful of high-ranking military officials. As an officer sporting several stars walked past Jarrett, she signaled for his attention and said, “I’d like another glass of wine.”

Our general remained a gentleman despite the faux pas:

“The guy dutifully went up and got her a glass of wine, and then came back and gave it to her and took a seat at the table,” our tipster said. “Everyone is in tuxedos and gowns at this thing, but the military people are in full dress uniform.”

As a service to our best and brightest who would lead us into a safer (and greener) future, I offer the following flash cards which could be the first two in an entire series to orient Obama administration officials who have only a vague familiarity with our military:

ARMY DRESS BLUES UNIFORM:




WAITER WITH WINE:


I'm not sure whether I'm horrified that Ms. Jarrett doesn't yet recognize a general or relieved that Jarrett apparently doesn't spend a lot of time in expensive restaurants with waiters standing about in tuxedos.