Saturday, April 11, 2020

Life During the Wuhan Flu

I appreciate the need to social distance during the Wuhan Flu coronavirus epidemic. I am getting a bit annoyed that I do this because the government requires it. And I'm deeply angry with the Chinese Communist Party for inflicting this on the world.

After apparently scaring the Heck out of a woman while I was taking a walk when I turned a corner wearing sunglasses and a handkerchief in cowboy triangular fashion over my face, I decided to make my own rectangular masks.

I cut a handkerchief into four squares, folded each one over, and hand sewed up the sides.

After that one, I remembered I had hem tape and hauled out my iron for that. Much better.

I did have to sew on rubber bands saved from celery stalks. Cut in half, I sewed them to the sides for ear attachments. I made four. One use then in the wash.

They fog my glasses, naturally. And I independently discovered the flute breathing with my first use. Actually, pushing my glasses further down my nose worked the best.

But out of curiosity when I read about glass defoggers I looked at a spray bottle of glasses cleaner I've had sitting in my half bath for a decade and noticed it has anti-fogging properties. Woo!

It was really boring to make these masks. But I use these for daily walks when I don't really come too close to many people, saving the N95s for grocery stores and visiting my mom. I'll need to finish four of these for her by the time I visit her this coming week with groceries

Also,when I had to deposit a paper check I finally gave in to limited online banking. I figured I had a choice of wearing a mask to the bank and being shot by an armed guard or not wearing a mask to the bank and getting fined $1,000 by the state.

I just thank God I got a haircut not long before the first school shutdown here in Michigan a few weeks ago.

Even when America starts getting back to work, Michigan will no doubt lag as we are now in third place in the American COVID19 Infection Olympics. There are reasons Michigan has been hit hard. I assume an open border with Canada didn't help, too. A big reason is that Detroit is historically vulnerable to viruses due to the extensive poverty. So the Wuhan Flu is pretty bad there. Which is shocking to me, given that Detroit has some experience with masks:



And as I wondered to my daughter, Lamb, via text, do the squirrels, birds, groundhogs, ducks, and geese wandering around more empty streets think they won?

My daughter expressed concern about me. I'm fine. Really. We'll get through this.