Saturday, February 15, 2020

Commence the Decimation in the Bureaucracy

This is a good interview of Victor Davis Hanson. Yes, the "deep state" exists. I think the image of some evil genius stroking a cat while pulling strings behind the scenes is out of place, but the permanent bureaucracy does have its own interests that it defends.

"Where you stand depends on where you sit" is the expression that fits. So no conspiracy. Just the logical bad result of having a large permanent bureaucracy.

That said, this assessment of those high ranking members of the federal bureaucracy is horrifying:

They think it deserves authority, and they have contempt—and I mean that literally—contempt for elected officials. [They think:] “These are buffoons in private enterprise. They are the CEO in some company; they’re some local Rotary Club member. They get elected to Congress, and then we have to school them on the international order or the rules-based order.”

In two decades of working for the state legislature with a rotating cast of legislators under term limits, I never developed that attitude.

I always said to myself--and to others as I explained my role--that I never received even a single vote, and my job was to provide the best information I could get to the people who got the votes and the right to make our laws.

Which is funny because before I worked in Lansing I had contempt for legislators. But seeing them and working with them made me appreciate that there are good and bad, and that most come into office with a sincere and obvious desire to do good things (regardless of whether I agreed with their definition of "good").

I developed respect.

I think there needs to be a lot of prosecutions, firings, and loss of pensions for senior people in our federal bureaucracy--a nonlethal and possibly nonrandom version of a Roman decimation--to send the message of proper roles and attitudes for those hired to work for those elected.

The interview is older but I don't think I've ever seen it. Better late than never.