Friday, October 13, 2006

Making Iranian Friends

Though as time drags on, I find myself with a bit of despair that we plan to do something about Iran, I keep my faint hopes on the determination of President Bush to end the mullah threat before he leaves office.

We are in the United Arab Emirates forging contacts with Iranians who live and work there:

The Iran Regional Presence Office in the U.S. consulate in Dubai is cultivating low-key ties with expatriate Iranians at a time when Tehran's disputed nuclear program has pushed the two nations' relationship to its lowest depth in years.

With Iran just 100 miles across the Persian Gulf, the United Arab Emirates maintains close ties with both Washington and Tehran, and Iranians and Americans, especially those with business interests, mingle freely in booming Dubai, one of its seven city-states.


I find it hard to believe that amidst the chit-chat about business or coming to America for college exhanges that we aren't looking for friends in case of a revolt inside Iran that we could support.

Am I hoping for too much?