Friday, February 24, 2006

Any Port in a Storm

I haven't posted on the UAE port issue other than to wonder in an update to a post on another topic if the UAE is on board for our action against Iran to explain the President's hard veto defense threat for the deal.

Basically, I just wasn't alarmed about the issue. Even as the cries of foul cascaded, I could not work up outrage or worry. Just what was the worry over the UAE? Or the now-common foreign control of port loading and unloading operations?

I'm still not worried and the screeching seems to be dying down. I'm not even convinced that the administration did a poor job of selling the issue. Is the administration supposed to mount a full-court press on every seemingly routine issue that it decides? Really, who can tell what issue will inspire somebody to get worried and start the ball rolling?

Read Strategypage for the goods on the topic.