Thursday, August 13, 2009

Confession

I think that President Obama should be treated with respect regardless of your opinion of him. He is our president even if you think he's an idiot.

But after President Bush was treated to massive insults and disrespect during his presidency (which to his credit he shrugged off to do his job) that barely seemed to matter to a press corps sympathetic to the protesters, I have to admit that I am amused that this administration and his press supporters seem to have thin skin over far tamer outrage over some of the president's domestic proposals:

What is weird about the liberal hysteria to the obstreperous (and occasionally rude) town meetings is the complete amnesia about what constitutes reckless public discourse.

At one time not so long ago, those on the Left, and mainstream Democrats as well, apparently believed inflammatory language, Hitler parallels, and perverse expressions of real hatred were acceptable means to the noble end of discrediting the Bush presidency.


I've read of very few cases of protesters even approaching the BDS-tinged outrage that was considered the highest form of patriotism at one time.

I do not wish President Obama to endure what President Bush (43) endured every day. But I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy just a little the payback for all that disrespect that he and his Congressional supporters are experiencing now.

And I'm enjoying their new-found embrace of respectful debate. I guess Hitler comparisons and giant puppets are now out.