Sunday, July 03, 2005

This is Just Horrifying

I try very hard not to associate criticism with disloyalty in the war. I criticize aspects of the war or defense policy without wanting us to lose.

But the hard core Left sets the tone for even the opposition that does not actively seek our defeat. The majority hears the words the hard core uses and feels sympathy for them. And they can't quite bring themselves to denounce the Moores, fake Indian professors, or Chomskies of their side for wanting us to lose or thinking we deserve the death and destruction we've endured. The hard Left types who spout off sound so sincerely for peace, human rights, and democracy, the general Left seem to think.

So when a Leftist like Daniel Lazare gives away the game (via Powerline) it is just horrifying to read:
Michael Medved: Daniel Lazare, would you like to see the elections scheduled for January 30 in Iraq fail?

Daniel Lazare: I'm totally opposed to what the U.S. is doing in Iraq. Therefore, I would no more support U.S. elections than I would support German elections in France during World War II.

Michael Medved: So you're sticking with this comparison of the United States to Nazi Germany?

David Horowitz: He is, because he believes it in his soul.

Daniel Lazare: I believe it. I believe it entirely.

David Horowitz: I think the audience has had a good look at how the American Left dissembles. Unless it is called to account by people who know what they're talking about, they will pretend to be civil libertarians, they will pretend to be democrats, they will pretend to be for “peace.” They will pretend to be humanitarians. But what they really are is America-hating totalitarians who want the enemy to win.

This summarizes what led up to the declaration of support for the enemy though it doesn't quote a lot from Lazare. From denial of anything but the purist of idealistic and peaceful motives to the admission that he admires the Fallujah terrorists and wanted them to win and that he supported the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. He thinks America is like Nazi Germany. But go read the whole thing, as they say.

It is horrifying to see the honesty of this position. How is it possible to believe it? I try to tell myself that this does not represent the whole side that criticizes the war. I fear deep down, because so many of their complaints are just ridiculous, that Lazare is just one of the few to be honest about their true feelings.

I'm horrified that some on the Left think this way. I'm horrified that I fear that a lot more think this way.

I wouldn't have to chant "they are the loyal opposition" so much if the broader Left would shun the whackos instead of celebrating and honoring them.