Sunday, May 29, 2005

Memorial Day 2005

I don't have much to say about Memorial Day. I will fly my flag at half-staff tomorrow morning. And I will raise it at noon. We have lost over 1600 in Iraq since the invasion in March 2003, with over 1200 killed in action. I will mourn their loss. And I will remain grateful that they chose to defend our nation and protect us all.

And I will forever feel guilty that when I was in uniform, I was not sent to fight in 1991. I stayed home and instead, today young men and women who were the children I was in uniform to protect are now protecting me.

But Memorial Day is not a unique day for remembering those who have died. I read every announcement by the Pentagon of an American death. Their name, age, rank, home town, unit, and branch. And sometimes the location and a little more detail. I force myself to be reminded almost every day and certainly every week that the price of my advocacy is the death of Americans who do their duty in a far away place. A future is ended and families and friends are left with a void to fill. I hope that our nation's memory of their sacrifice and our gratitude can one day help fill those voids.

We are winning in Iraq. And in the broader war. I believe the deaths are not in vain. I believe that victory will result from the path we are on and that we must not turn away.

Victory is the best memorial we can give. Having decided to go to war to defend our nation, we can not accept less. Once again, there is no substitute for victory.