Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Dots With No Connections

A car bombing in Lebanon is setting off dominos:
International pressure mounted on Syria to ease its grip over Lebanon as stunned Lebanese prepared to bury slain former Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri on Wednesday.

Listening to NPR on the way home (I know, I know) I listened to a former CIA analyst explaining why Syria couldn't be behind the bombing. She said that it had been since the 1980s that Syria had used car bombs in Lebanon and that Syria was not about to get the US mad at them by bombing a Lebanese former prime minister.

Is it too late to get her back in the Company? I mean, I don't know if Syria is behind this, but is it really unreasonable to think it is possible given what the former analyst said?

Let's see, Syria has a track record of using car bombs in Lebanon. And despite Syria's support for the jihadis and Baathists killing our troops and Iraqis inside Iraq, Syria wouldn't want to get us mad by killing a prominent Lebanonese opposed to Syria's occupation of Lebanon. Wow. Certainly no possibility of Damascus involvement in this incident, eh?

I hope she didn't train any of the analysts still with the CIA.