Saturday, December 19, 2015

I Remain a Man of the People

I am a man of the people.

I know this because when I went to the mall with Mister and bought a suit for him at Macy's today (a man ought to have a suit, I say), the sales woman helpfully showed me how to hang suit pants on a hangar with a rod to keep it in place.

At one time I owned half a dozen suits, several sport coats, and a tuxedo.

I earned a BA with a double major and an MA.

I worked with the powerful in Lansing, staffing legislatively created task forces on government reform and did research to determine government health insurance contracts worth billions of dollars.

I spoke at an Army convention.

I once even briefed the senate majority leader on an issue of importance to him.

Not that I was a powerful person myself.  And I'm not bragging. I leave that to others who have truly achieved much. But my point is that I wore suits all the time in that environment.

And successfully hung them in my closet.

Yet the woman at Macy's figured this was all new to me!

Not that I took offense, mind you. I was born and raised in the city of Detroit. I know Ann Arbor has a reputation for being a tad snooty, but I guess that hasn't really affected me in my many decades here.

And to be fair, I hadn't shaved in a couple days, hadn't showered yet today (I planned to run), and was wearing an Army t-shirt.

Anyway, I was amused.

I remain a man of the people rather than an over-educated dandy. Possibly dangerous.