Thursday, February 24, 2005

I Do Value Our European Friends

What with the President's trip to Europe, I've taken the opportunity to bash the Euros and the idea of a monolithic European Union.

But I never forget that we have friends in Europe. Even the Spanish once helped us a great deal prior to the Iraq War and sent troops to Iraq for at least a while, suffering casualties with us. I do appreciate that. The Dutch and Danes contributed and others, too. Partners will come and go in a long war on terror so I don't want to give the impression that I have contempt for Europeans (Europe as an institution? Lots of contempt). Even countries that step back may come back into the coalition again. I bet Spain will in time.

Shoot, even help that is miniscule compared to what they could contribute (such as France and Germany in Afghanistan) are at least helping. I thank them for that help. Sincerely. Really.

So thanks to all those who help, who have helped, and advanced thanks to those who will come around. This can't be our fight alone.

And many thanks to the Australians who are stepping up to do more when they could easily claim they've done enough. Like Japan stepping up over Taiwan, this act is what a true ally does when needed. I hope we'll always be there for Australia and Japan.