Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Grief and Sorrow

I don't have much to say about a mother who has lost her son in war. Hitchens has a good piece on one in the news lately.

I don't think much of who she has decided to support. She embraces those who wanted her son to die and who support a fascist enemy in killing other Americans. And I don't think much of her decision to grasp the most grotesque accusations about why we fight. Her son knew better and that is why he volunteered. Nor do I think much of her rewriting of her own history with the President. Yet the press minimizes the transformation of her story, showing their biases in this unfortunate little event.

Yet she clearly grieves. So I don't have it in my heart to condemn her even as I find her actions and statements reprehensible. One day, I believe she will realize with some horror what she has done and she will know that she has dishonored her son's memory by embracing the pro-terrorist side. On that day, she will add guilt to her grief, and I cannot rejoice in that thought.

I can only thank her son for defending all of us. And mercifully look away from her until this unfortunate period in her life has passed.